Wednesday 4 February 2009

Revolutionary Road

On Monday morning I served notice on Simon in Oldbrook. Unfortunately his mobile number wasn’t recognised so I had to do the dirty deed by email. I felt bad about this but having made up our minds, there was no turning back. It’s been a long time since I served notice of possession so I had to pay for a Section 21(4)(a) notice from a property website on the internet. Monday was the deadline otherwise we would have had to wait another month; I sent Phil round to deliver it by hand. Cowardly I know but if I had gone myself, I would probably have bottled out. Thankfully Simon had picked up my email so it wasn’t a total shock but even so, Phil said he was fairly gutted. But we have no other option, we still have to pay the mortgages and can’t afford to do this if we aint getting any rent. It’s gotta come in before it can go out. Simple.

Even though the weather was foul and it was snowing hard Phil dragged me out to IKEA to get some ideas for refurbishing the Oldbrook flat. His idea is that the more we can source and buy before Simon goes, the quicker we can turn the flat around. I agree but it so long since I have stepped foot in the flat that I found it difficult to get any vision, let alone a creative one. After IKEA we made our way across the city and went to B&Q. I soon found a kitchen within the budget and picked out the worktops along with the wall and floor tiles. One of the guys that used to serve us a lot recognised Phil and we asked him about the offer they had on. B&Q are giving 50% off kitchens up until the 5th Feb. We told him it was too soon as we needed to measure up before we could place a firm order. He said no problem because if we booked an appointment with a kitchen planner for sometime in the next 3 or 4 weeks then we could still buy all the stuff and still qualify for the 50% discount. He said we would get discount on all the tiles and grouting as well. We couldn’t believe our luck and if he is telling us the truth this will save us an awful lot of money.

As we walked out with a load of brochures Phil spotted a whole bathroom suite on sale for just £239. Unbelievable or what! It even included the waste and the taps! There was another suite which was even cheaper but the taps were crap and I know I would have to spend another 70 quid replacing them. The plan is to somehow get access to the flat and measure up before the appointment with our kitchen planner. I can see us having to take 2 cars to collect all of our bargains when the time comes. Simon has to be out of the flat by the 3rd April but we are hoping he will leave before then so we can get stuck in.

The weather was really foul when we came out of B&Q, it was snowing heavily and really slippy underfoot. Phil was skidding everywhere on purpose and I was getting very annoyed with him. I just wanted to get home and in the warm but he insisted on paying a visit to dwell, a shop just by Comet & Halfords. Harriet mentioned it to us and Phil wanted to check it out. Even though I was fed up with all the skidding I was glad we went to have a look. They have some really quirky stuff, a bit like ‘Habitat’ style but certainly much cheaper. I have some doubts about the quality of their gear but even so, if you check carefully before you buy, you can pick up some unusual things. We didn’t buy anything though.

Yesterday was a mish mash day. Phil made the lunch and mostly did his OU all day. I got my boots on and crunched my way down to the job centre, what a dreadfull place. I pulled off a couple of jobs from the computer and applied for them when I got back home. Actually I have got an interview today with an estate agent in Wolverton. Me and Raj are meeting at 10am, I hardly have any details about the job but at least I’ve got me an interview.

Last night Phil and I went to see Revolutionary Road with Kate Winslet and With Leonardo DiCaprio at Cineworld. The film started off well but and I certainly wasn’t bored but you know what, I can’t see why it received so many Oscar nominations. And neither did Phil. Perhaps it was us, perhaps we missed the whole point of the film altogether?? Who knows, personally I wished we’d gone to see Seven with Will Smith. Well, that's enough twaddle from me, I will now sign off and get ready for my interview.

No comments: