Saturday 7 February 2009

Groundhog Day

With all the bad weather, I have been like an Eskimo hiding away in her iglu all week. God I hate the snow and the cold wet weather makes me more miserable than ever. Phil drove me for my interview on Tuesday morning and I am still waiting to hear if I have been successful. Trouble is, I’m not convinced that I really want to work 42 hours a week including every Saturday for 14 grand. Phil says I must but I’m not so sure that this is the one for me. I could do the job standing on my head but I have other doubts that probably are best not aired in public, just in case I am forced to accept.

Against my better wishes, Phil managed to drag me to London on Thursday, which in view of the dire weather conditions, was definitely a mad idea. In spite of all of the delays and cancellations we managed to get on a super fast train straight away and were in London in the blink of an eye. I hadn’t been to the Natural History Museum before, it’s not really my cup of tea and I wasn’t that impressed with the Darwin exhibition. I was just glad that Phil had printed off a discount voucher from the internet so we didn’t pay full price for our tickets. I felt sorry for Phil; I think he had high expectations of the exhibition which I don’t think were met. Still at least now he has seen it for himself.

It was a few changes on the underground to China Town to Phil’s favourite restaurant which unfortunately was closed for refurbishment. We found a Chinese restaurant nearby but it was very disappointing and not worth the money. Phil said I could go shopping but it was pouring with rain and sleet and I just couldn’t see the point. We got back to Euston station to find major delays and cancellations and were really lucky to get on the Birmingham train. It was an uphill track from the station back to the flat in all the snow and I can tell you, I was very happy to get back in the warm without having broken any bones.

It was snowing very heavily when we woke up yesterday morning and there was no way we were going out in the car. But we didn’t really have much in the cupboards so we got on our boots and made our way to Waitrose and went to the market on the way back. There were very few shops open in the centre, I would say less than half and only a handful of stalls set up on the market. I went into a shoe shop to buy some imitation Ugg boots. The manager in the store told me she was saying in a local hotel and that her local staff had problems getting to work because the buses had stopped running. There were loads of people in the shop trying to buy wellies to put on when they walked home after work.

Phil made us a nice shepherd’s pie which was delicious and perfect for a day when you’re snowed in. We saw that the snow had stopped after lunch and decided to jump in the shower and take ourselves to the cinema. I was meant to go for an eyebrow wax at David Lloyd but decided to cancel the appointment because there no way I wanted to drive my car in the snow.

I also had an appointment to go and register for a computer course. I can’t quite remember if I’ve said before, but I going to try and get my ECDL certificate (European Computer Driving Licence). Most employers seem to be asking for this qualification and although I’m fairly competent with most IT applications, I think it will me get interviews if I can get me a certificate. I need to do this quickly though and there is no time to waste. The Pitman Training Centre just round the corner from the kebab flat want £250 to study the ECDL course then another £200 quid for the exams but I have found similar on-line tuition on the internet for £40 so I have been ploughing through this. I have found an accredited training centre in South Fifth Street where I need to register and then take the 7 exams.

We didn’t know if the Odeon would be open but despite the snowfall it was business as usual. We got tickets for ‘Seven Pounds’ with Will Smith, and, as is usual at The Odeon, we had the whole place all to ourselves. The film was slow to start and it took us both a while to figure out what was going on but once it clicked we enjoyed it. It’s not a film to see if you want cheering up mind you, but we liked the twist at the end. We got back home just in time to watch Secret Millionaire. I wonder why we bother to watch this programme because it never fails to make us both cry.

No sure about plans for the weekend. I suppose I ought to clean my teeth, put on some clothes and get out and about. I think its about time this Eskimo left her iglu.

No comments: