Saturday 3 October 2009

Blood, Sweat & Tears

The last few days have been hell. It’s been a long hard slog and we are still no way near the finishing line yet. We are both utterly totally knackered and both physically and mentally exhausted. Me, more on the mental side, emotionally it’s been particularly hard coming back to the GP (Giffard Park) house and I’m still nowhere stable. It’s going to take a while.

Phil was up early on Wednesday and at the CF by six thirty finishing off the difficult cuts of the tiles. I, in the meantime was back and forth between the NH house and the GP house, carting car loads of stuff. The state of our kitchen floor tiles upset me and they needed another couple of hours scrubbing. I’m still not satisfied but at least for now, I know for sure they are clean. When things have settled down I’ll give them a super duper scrub and then I will be able to relax.

The carpet fitters fitted the new lounge carpet at the CF on Wednesday afternoon but they didn’t turn up until late so poor Phil had a really long day. We were no way organised to move into the GP house so we spent one last and final night at the NH house. In a way, I’m sad to leave but I certainly won’t miss the nasty neighbours. Nigel, the bald man with the big van came early to the NH house on Thursday morning to help Phil move the sofas. The idea was to move the new black metal reclining sofas to the GP house, put the brown leather 3 seater in the NH house and take the 2 seater leather sofa to the CF flat. It was a struggle to get all of them in and out and in the end we decided to store the brown leather sofa in the garage rather than take it to the NH house, it was too much hard work.

After the removals nightmare was over, Phil made his way over to the CF to let Snake in so he plumb in the washing machine and fit the new shower. I carried on with the removals in the Ford KA and got on with the task of cleaning the GP house from top to bottom. I was under pressure to get it all done because I knew if I didn’t get it finished, we would have to spend another night in the NH house. Barry came and fixed the tiles on the roof at the NH house and afterwards he came to clear the guttering at the GP house. Phil didn’t get back from Cranfield until 5pm and we both had a shower, put on our jarmies and collapsed in front the plasma, absolutely shattered.

Friday was more removals, more cleaning and more hard graft at the CF. We are near to finishing in Cranfield but it’s not quite there yet. It would be nice to get things sorted in our proper home and relax over the weekend but there is no chance of that. We need to spend at least another day in the CF flat and we also need to do a final clean at the NH house and get the rest of our stuff out. I think the agents have advertised the house in the paper this week because after a quiet spell we have had a few viewings. So fingers crossed we get an offer.

I was optimistic when I said I hoped the broadband connection would be on by Friday. How wrong was I??? I spent over an hour on the phone to BT yesterday afternoon and finally established that the broadband wouldn’t be on until the 12th October. How we will live without an internet connection for the next 10 days I do not know. What is worse still, we won’t get BT Vision until a week after the broadband is connected. I have drafted this brief blog on my laptop and saved it to the data stick. I’m publishing this from the computer at the health club. So, forgive us if we are a bit sparse on the blogs for the next week or so. After the 12th we shall both be back with vengeance, because lots of shit has happened and there is much to say.

No comments: