Wednesday 30 September 2009

How Clean is Your House?


Although I moaned like hell about the science revision weekend, Phil actually did learn a lot. In fact, he actually said to me in the car on the way back home, that if he hadn’t of booked up, he probably would have failed the exam. His exam is on the 15th October, not very far away, so despite my boredom I’m glad we went. Poor Phil, he has so much work to do in the CF that he just doesn’t have time to study.

We spent all of Monday on the CF going to and fro to Milton Keynes to pick up bits from home and visit the DIY stores. It would be probably be quicker and easier to shop in Bedford but we just don’t know it well enough so we had no choice but to trek back to CMK. Progress was slow but we did at least manage to sort the part for the drawer unit for the kitchen and put that together. We grabbed lunch at the Rose & Crown in Cranfield, the pub didn’t look promising from the outside and the dining room was grubby but the food was home cooked and quite passable and if we are stuck, we will go back there again.

Yesterday was a BIG day. I stayed home to cook of big pot of chilli and rice whilst Phil went early to the CF to get going with the tiling in the kitchen. We had a viewing on the NH so I did the housework and then went over to Cranfield to see if I could help out Phil. He’d pretty much finished all the tiling so I did some tidying up, took up the lounge carpet up and filled my boot with rubbish to take to the tip. We went home for lunch and a shower and then went round to the cul-d-sac to meet our tenant and the agent to do the final inspection on our house. Although we were excited to get our house back, we were both a little anxious about the inspection. Phil knows how anal I am about cleaning and knew beforehand that it wouldn’t be to my standards. And he was right; I wasn’t a happy bunny although the tenant produced a bill to say that he had a professional clean the day before. The tenant also had lost the key to all of our outbuildings and my brand new dyson hover was so clogged that I couldn’t get the top open to empty and clean it. I got rid of the tenant and the agent and sent Phil home and started to clean. The agent knew that I was not happy and said I could have she would arrange a professional clean the following day but I refused, I need to go over area of my house so I know that it is done and I can move back.

I do wish I wasn’t so particular about cleanliness but I just can’t help it especially because everything in our house is so new. It took me 2 hours to scrub my lovely once ceramic cream tiles in the kitchen which were grey, literally no exaggeration. It was obvious to me that for the last year they have been mopped but never scrubbed on hands and knees. I smelt all the bedding which had been washed but I stripped it all off and took back the NH to wash (and iron) again. I didn’t dare look inside my lovely Italian loffra oven, that will just have to wait until the weekend. I suppose all in all, the house wasn’t in bad nick but even so I had a little cry. The garden has not been loved and there are leaves all over the garage floor even though we have an electronic door that goes right down to the floor. Never mind, I am up early so I can go in and start cleaning; just got to publish the blog and wait for another load of washing to finish so I can start the drying programme.

Ps. Photo’s to follow later and maybe the last blog until Friday because I think our internet connection goes off tomorrow.

No comments: