Tuesday 27 January 2009

Big Girls Night Out

Last night Harriet picked me up from the kebab flat (bless her) and we went to meet up with Jane, Charlotte & Lauren for a meal at the Barge in Woolstone. It’s been a good few years since Harriet and Charlotte met up so both the girls had a lot of catching up to do. Charlotte returned to the UK in December after spending a gap year in Australia and New Zealand. Harriet has spent a couple of months in Australia on holiday so she was familiar with some of the places that Charlotte has been. I was going to be good and go for the Caesar salad but somehow I ended up with beef curry and poppadoms. How did that happen? As always, everyone’s food was good and I was surprised with the credit crunch and all, to see that the pub was packed out. Charlotte had brought along her laptop and it was really interesting to see pictures of her trip. It’s was strange to see C & H chatting away, doesn’t seem so long ago since they were little girlies. Big girls now though and both of them will be 20 years old in March. Even little Lauren who by the way is taller than all of us, turned sweet 16 in January. Where oh where does the time go?

I am going to have to be quick this morning because after a cup of tea and a jump in the shower, we’re driving down to Okehampton in Devon to visit and stay with The Sopers. Chris and Christine have rented an apartment for 12 months and left Larnaca to spend January in the UK. Christine emailed me whilst we were away in Goa and I had completely forgotten they were in this country until she called and left a message on my voicemail. They are flying back to Cyprus early Saturday morning so this will be our last chance to catch up with them before they go home. I’m not quite sure what their overall plan is but I am sure they will tell us all about it this evening over a few drinks. Conscious that they have to pack up the house, we’ve decided to only stay the one night and on Thursday morning we have booked a guest house in Weston-Super-Mare.

The reason we choose W-S-M was because it seemed to be a half way mark on the map and also neither of us have been there before. I think it will be good for Phil to get out (he had another day yesterday of not showering and not getting out of his pyjamas) plus the mini break will get me away from my inbox. I loose count of the number of times I check my mail on the chance of getting a reply from my many job applications; it’s almost bordering on the lines OCD. Hopefully the sea wind will blow away all thoughts of rejection and I can return on Friday, a new woman.

No comments: