Friday 12 December 2008

Happy Christmas & Happy Holidays


Well here we are, the last day in the UK before we fly away. It’s been a funny old week, with of course the biggest drama, being the fire in the flat next door on Tuesday. This was fairly traumatic and I have to say, I panicked when I opened the front door and saw the thick smoke in the foyer. Okay, I had the sense to dial 999 and raise the alarm on all floors but I have learnt that I am crap in a crisis. If it were a real emergency, without Phil, I wouldn’t survive.

I can’t recall exactly what I have been up to this week; I caught up with Vanessa for a cup of tea on Wednesday and called in on Funmi afterwards but she wasn’t at home. I got my car cleaned inside and out by the polish guys on the A421 near to Giffard Park. It only cost 10 quid and normally I wouldn’t have bothered but I am lending my little KA to my friend’s daughter for a couple of weeks and I would have been embarrassed to hand it over in its filthy state. Last night I went over to Christine’s for supper. Obviously she’s deep in the depths of grieving for John but still we managed to have a pleasant evening with lots of wine.

And tomorrow we’re off. The food cupboards are empty and the cases are packed. Well actually the back packs are packed. I thing I’ve done good this time and remembered everything; universal bath-cum-sink plug, mega sonic cat-cum-dog scarer, 4 way extension lead, chains plus padlocks, shit pills, tea bags, 100% deet mosquito repellent; torches, pencil with rubber and Phil’s goggles. All I have to do is buy some cold sore cream because I have a big crater forming on my top lip so I want to nip it in the bud ASAP.

Yesterday Phil managed to book a room in The Rainbow House on the Majorda beach road in Goa. We saw these rooms last time we were in Goa and although I took the telephone number of the owner, somehow I managed to loose it. I finally got the number from emailing the owner of one of our favourite restaurants just down the road from Rainbow House and he emailed me back with the number. It is costing us 6,000 rupees a night (about 8 quid). Our room won’t have air conditioning which I can live without but I am praying to god that we have hot water. Phil seems to think it does have but I am not so sure. We have to get out of Rainbow House on the 23rd December because they are booked up but this is fine, just means I get to stay somewhere half decent for Christmas Day (fingers crossed!). Harriet is not best pleased that we’re going away but she is happy that she gets the kebab flat to herself for 2 whole weeks. Actually, I do feel guilty, because as I pen this, she lies in her bed, off sick from work with the flu bug. Get better soon HH, I will be thinking of you.

And so, this is the last word from the UK and our next entry will be from a dirty, dusty, & sweaty Internet café in Goa on Monday. For now we wish everyone a happy Christmas & happy holidays!

1 comment:

Jim Robb said...

Happy Christmas you two. Have a great holiday and we'll see you in the new year.
Lots of love
Jim & Shirley