Tuesday 25 November 2008

Goodbye to John

It was John’s funeral today and time to say goodbye. It took place at the crematorium in Crown Hill. It was a bitter sweet cold day but the sunshine was brilliant and not a drop of rain in sight which pleased me. The chapel of rest was packed out with every seat taken; people had to sit along the sides of the chapel which just goes to show what a great bloke John was. It was a lovely order of service with beautiful readings and songs, which in my opinion, summed up the very essence and soul of John. He would have been pleased with the attendance. Christine told me that John had said he wanted wailing women and white horses at his wake! Well he certainly got the wailing women that’s for sure; but Christine didn’t go for the white horses because they would have cost the earth. She wouldn’t have minded about the cost but John was careful with his pennies and this extortionate cost would have made him turn in his coffin!

Afterwards friends and family went back to the house for the wake. These things are always difficult especially for those closest but the atmosphere all round was warm and loving and I was able to remember John as he was before he got sick. Apparently John liked to listen to Pavarotti and drink red wine when he was cooking spaghetti bolognaise. I remember once, John teasing me about my bad choice of wine that I had ordered for an advisory board BBQ which Christine was hosting at their house. I hope John, that wherever you are now, that you have good red wine on tap and are surrounded by sweet sounds.

Funerals certainly make you wonder what it’s all about. Why are we put on this planet and for what reason? Why do the good guys get taken early and the baddies get to live to a ripe old age? There is no rhyme nor reason and I really don’t think there can be a god. We are all born and we all die at some point in time. I suppose all that really matters, is what you do with the bit in-between.

No comments: