Monday 15 September 2008

Woman on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown


Phil was right when he said in his last blog that things aren’t going very well, right now every which way we turn there seems to be one big massive object in our way. Okay, maybe I exaggerate slightly, but you get the picture. Phil jumped in his car on Friday to go and meet an estate agent and as he turned the key in the ignition it was obvious the battery had died. This is the 3rd time in the space of a few months that this has happened. It wasn’t too much of a big problem because he borrowed my little Ford KA which he hates driving with a passion but he had no choice. On Saturday morning he popped over to Costco to buy some kind of instant battery charger; they didn’t have the one he had seen on a previous visit but he managed to find something similar and brought that instead. When he got it home, he set it all up only to find that the damn thing didn’t work. He effed and blinded with all his might and then took it back to Costco for a refund. In the end we phoned the Rescue My Car people because we are covered for HomeStart and they sent out a man who charged the battery up in no time.

Most of the weekend has been dominated by the Grand Prix, qualifying on Saturday and the actual race itself on Sunday. We did however manage to get all of the boxes I’d previously packed up into the eaves of the attic. This was no mean feat because they were heavy. While Phil was lying horizontal on the sofa in front of the telly I did a few runs to the CCF and unloaded clothes into the wardrobe and put some tins in the cupboards. Once again I go from having 14 cupboards in the kitchen to just 4.

As I have been clearing out drawers I have chucked heaps of crap away and I have loads of bags of rubbish in the garage. Good job the bin men are coming today. We don’t have a rubbish day in the CCF; there is a big skip in a communal cupboard which you unlock with a key and the bin men come and check it on a daily basis. This works out okay I guess but the stench as you open the cupboard nearly knocks you over; in my opinion it needs a good hose done and a dousing with bleach and dettol. The council seem to make a tremendous effort to keep Silbury Boulevard clean, I guess because the flat is on the same boulevard as the library and the council offices. That said, I have a few complaints that I intend to take up with the council about the internal decoration and the rubbish in the communal gardens. I’m not sure I am strong enough today for a fight so may leave this until tomorrow; I wonder whether the council are ready for a tenant like me?

On Friday we went to have a green curry at the Royal Thai restaurant in Stony Stratford. http://www.royalthaimk.co.uk/ Very good, any lunchtime dish is £6.50.
The weather for a change was lovely and I thought it just my luck that the one nice weekend we have and I am sweating my guts out with packing and unpacking boxes. I am getting myself really stressed up with this move, on the one side I want everything to be perfect when I leave this house and I also want the same in the CCF before I move-in. I want to strip all the wall paper off in the second bedroom in the CCF and re-paper and paint this weekend as I know that when we get all our stuff in, there will be no room to swing a cat. Although I’m a good painter and decorator I always get paint everywhere. Phil is not happy and tells me to wait and decorate once we’re in but I don’t think I am going to be able too.

Harriet is off on holiday next week and is having to pack not only stuff to take away but also she has to pack all her stuff to take to her dad’s house. She was reluctant to do any packing at first but soon got going when I started packing and throwing stuff out for her! She is not a happy bunny but at least she has a nice, 2 week holiday in the sun to look forward too.

Phil has been having fun over the weekend with his mega sonic dog scarer, he even took it to bed with him on Friday night and when the dogs barked he was straight up lifting the blinds and hanging out the bedroom window zapping the dogs to stop them barking. On Saturday he was out in the back garden zapping the squirrels and pigeons. As luck would have it, I caught Neil on Saturday night as he was going in his front door and said to him that I wasn’t being a grumpy old woman but his dogs barking was driving us up the wall. I think I let slip I’d heard some of the neighbours talking about poisoning the dogs and gave him the mega sonic dog collar. To be fair he was apologetic and feigned surprise that the dogs barked when he wasn’t there. He promised to try out the collar and came round last night to see whether we had noticed a difference. I told him that they hadn’t barked but to be honest they bark when they are left alone all night and this weekend he’s only been away for a couple of hours. Still it’s a start in the right direction.

Steve Buckton praised our blog on his blogsite and said he thought we were quite prolific. I was impressed by this word and had to look up its meaning. I think if he had been in the blog of late, he would probably describe our site as depressing with a capital D. I can only apologise for this but I did say right from the very start that I would tell it as it really is and at this moment in time, it’s SHIT. The inspiration for my title today comes from an article in the Sunday Mail about a book called Woman on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown: Life, Love and Talking it Through. It’s written by Lorna Martin and is about her experiences of alternative counselling to lift her depression when girlfriends, Prozac and wine had all failed. I thought I might buy a copy to see if I get some tips to stop me going crazy. But I’ve no time to sit down and read, so for now I think I’ll stick to girlfriends and wine. The nervous breakdown will just have to wait until after we move!

No comments: