Wednesday 10 September 2008

Home sweet home


We arrived back at Luton airport after a fairly packed flight from Faro arround half past one yesterday afternoon, with only a slight delay. It was tipping it down with rain and I got wet waiting for our express coach to take us back to MK. Phil had remembered to pack his coat so he was alright. It was freezing on the coach and we were feeling very miserable when we got off at the coach station in Campbell Park, where we then had to wait for a taxi to take us home. I was relieved to get inside the front door and said to Phil“ahh home sweet home” but then I remembered it won’t be ‘home sweet home’ for much longer. I’ve been back less than 24 hours and already I’m depressed!

As Phil said, there wasn’t anywhere or anytime to blog in Ayamonte which is where we stayed with Mads and Steve so Phil only had time to do a small blog when we got to Faro. Steve kindly picked us up at Faro airport and took us back to the apartment in Ayamonte. The apartment was lovely, really comfortable with all the mod cons you could want. Especially great if you play golf because the course is right on your doorstop. For me and Phil who don’t play golf, it was a little far from the town itself and you definitely need a car to go anywhere. I was going to put up some more photos but I see that Phil has deleted them all from my camera card. I tell you, I will be pleased when he finally gets his camera fixed and doesn’t have to borrow mine all the time!

The hotel (Hotel Monaco) that we stayed in, just on the outskirts of Faro was surprisingly pleasant. It was cheap as chips so we weren’t expecting much but the room was adequately sized and the hotel even had a pool. Here is a picture of Ray and Linda who partied with us in the bar. This was the first time we’d been to Portugal but as we only stayed 2 nights and only had 1 full day, I can’t say I’ve seen enough to form an opinion. I liked the harbour area in Faro but the city itself was much like any other. The plus side of course, was that it was sunny, unlike the UK which I gather has had rain for the whole week that we’ve been away. All in all we had a good week doing not very much; to be honest it was just nice to get away and not think about all the usual strives and struggles at home.

Poor Phil is back at Rexam today and I don’t think he was really very prepared, either mentally or physically, to go back to work. But needs must and it gets him away from under my feet. Actually with Harriet at work, the house is eerily quiet and although it’s only been a morning, I have to say I am missing him (but don’t tell Phil that). We both jumped on the scales this morning and have put on a hideous amount of weight so we’ve decided to go on a very strict diet. But I think today we need some comfort food, so for lunch I am cooking us steak and ale pie with mustard mash. For afters I have brought Phil his favourite, sticky toffee pudding, which never fails to cheer him up. The diet will have start tomorrow.

No comments: