Friday 3 July 2009

The week ends


The week grinds to an end and a new month begins. We slowed down the pace a bit this week, starting work at the flat early in the morning and finishing at midday which is a much more sensible way to work. In fact we have had quite an almost pleasant week, enjoying the sunshine in the garden and watching the tennis. There have been the usual trips to B&Q and all the various rubbish dumps but we have also managed to get to David Lloyd every day this week and on 2 occasions we even had time for a swim. How good is that?

On Wednesday night Jim picked up Chris & Phil and they went to meet George at The Navigation in Cosgrove. Boy has it been a hot week and I found it almost unbearable on Thursday. I picked up Jan from work at the OU on Thursday lunchtime and we went to The Barge for something to eat. Jan has been ill, with what sounds like an awful bug and hardly touched her Caesar salad. I ate every bit of mine, it really was delicious. Although it was bright, clear skies outside, we decided to eat inside.

Work is progressing well at the OB flat and we are almost ready to go to market. The plumber went in last night to plumb in the heated towel rail, the sink taps and a new toilet flush system. Mark fits in plumbing around his full time job and didn't get time to fit the bath. This is fine because he is going round at 7.30pm tomorrow morning to finish off. He's a good old boy. The reason he is starting so early is because its the Newport Pagnell carnival and he doesn't want to miss out on the action. Seems there is alot going down in MK this weekend. I notice David Lloyd have an open weekend and it is also the Lion Hearts Crusing Club Open day which we hope to go to, that is, if it's not pissing it down with rain.
I have been very busy with domestics since first light; first job was shopping in Tesco's at Kingston. There is something quite magical about filling up your trolley at half past six in the morning; Okay, magical may not be the right word, but when I go early, it makes me feel like I'm doing something naughty. Bizarre I know, but that's yours truly. I unpacked the shopping and then did the housework because we have house guests coming to stay. Then I went to Lidl's for beer, B&Q for a plant and a pot and then I popped into IKEA for some odds and sods for the flat. Then it was back to the OB flat to get on with some painting. Phil did a couple of hours work this morning in the flat but then finished early so he could go and pick up Georgina. I think he was planning to take her to see a movie. This is the last opportunity he will have to see her for a month because next week she flies to South Africa to take part in a project as part of her Duke of Edinburgh award. Very exciting!

I had an exciting moment yesterday when my replace louvre blinds arrived. I'd ordered them online and the confirmation email told me they would take up to 8 days to be delivered. But they turned up 2 days after placing my order. I've been all all over Milton Keynes trying to find shops that provide replacement louvres and I've had some quotes of up to £170. This is ridiculours because I only wanted to replace the material louvres and not the whole blind which works perfectly well. Anyway I eventually found a site that does 5 inch replacements and the whole lot including delivery and weights came to £58.99. My origianl plan was to spray them but I had a go with one louvre and discovered I would need to cover each louvre 3 times. Now with 32 louvres, each side x 3 times that would have been a lot of spraying plus they would have looked naff. My new cream ripple replacements look truly beautiful.

I am just typing up a quick blog from the free Internet access at David Lloyd. The only trouble is, I don't think I can add photographs from here so I'll have to do this later. Meant to blog from home first thing this morning but wasn't in the mood and somehow my window of opportunity just disappeared. I'm going to hurry up and finish this because I need to go for a shower and then get myself home to get ready for our weekend guests who are due to arrive at 4pm. Hopefully they will arrive just before the Murray match starts so we can meet and greet and then settled on the sofas to watch the tennis. A perfect start to the weekend. Lets just keep our toes and fingers crossed that the rain stays away.

No comments: