Sunday 19 July 2009

PADI over Kas and peninsular tour

Friday lunch I finished my PADI beginner’s course apart from the final exam which I was supposed to take at 2.30pm when Kevin and his daughter Betty had done theirs. 2.30pm came and went, so at 4.30pm we decided to come home as there would no longer be time for me to complete the course while still at the diving centre and of course we had so much sun we needed to get out of it. My instructor said he would bring it to our villa when they eventually brought them back. He turned up with them at 8.15pm and we were well oiled and almost ready for bed so there was no way that I would complete it before the morning. Trouble was Dan was coming in at 9.30am to pick it up so he could do it. Good job we are early risers as it was all done before 8am, I had took the rubbish, shopped at Tesko’s and was down to hand it in by 8.45am but we haven’t had time to find out my result yet. We were off to the little restaurant that overlooked the harbour to read our emails and have breakfast before our next bike trip to Kas which is 37km away. It doesn’t sound a long way but with this little bike and these mountain roads it's quite tiring. The road from Kalkan to Kas is a very pretty mountain coastal road with lots of islands along the way.

We arrived a little too early for lunch so had a coffee in the square and walked around the harbour before making our way along the Cukurbag Peninsula. Good job we did, the views were unbelievable, so varied and far too much for this entry but we accidentally stumbled upon a great little restaurant called Akropol which is run by Chrissi and Ferit from Austria. It has the most spectacular views and when Claire sat down to look at the text that had just come in on her mobile, she said it said welcome to Greek net. When we asked weasel, I mean Ferit why this was, he said that all the islands to South east of the peninsula were Greek ones and that their tariffs were better than the Turkish ones.

Claire had a wonderful fillet steak whilst I had the stroganoff; we had a green salad and spazlie (hone made German and Austrian pasta) as extra. They were so good we have booked to go back next Wednesday for another meal and I photographed the interesting pages from the menu so we can chose in advance and order if necessary. After lunch we completed the circuit of the peninsula returning back to the mainland and made our way home stopping briefly at Blue cave beach for a quick swim to cool off. It is a little bay presumably made from the river gorge grinding all the stones to pebbles and sand on its way to the sea from the mountains. Claire counted 200 steps in all but I only made it 192; maybe we will stop back to check next Wednesday, sad gits we are.

We ended up with a drink at our favourite bar overlooking the harbour (which I must learn the name of) while we picked up our laptop which we had left there after breakfast before replenishing supplies such as fruit and salad stuff on our way home. The fruit and veg over here are fabulous; so fresh and tasty. Easy night in again tonight, then and easy day by the pool tomorrow so I can start my OU catch up as we are half way through our holiday and I haven’t even started it yet. I do need to shoot down to my diving club to find out the result of my exam though so find out if I am a qualified PADI tomorrow.

1 comment:

Fordy said...

Hope the exam went well. Turkey looks stunning, glad you're both enjoying it.