Thursday 26 June 2008

Does my bum look big in this?


The good thing about seeing my sisters (Julia and Louise) is that they say it as it really is - and some more. Phil doesn’t always tell me the truth because a) it might cost him money and b) if he tells the truth he will inevitably get some grief. He can’t win really and I don’t blame him for lying. But the sisters never lie; when Louise looked deep into my eyes at the B-B-Q and told me she must get an upper eye lift very soon, I knew my eye-lids (being the older sister) must be really droopy. Actually I’m well aware that they are very saggy. I simply must get surgery. It’s not just a case of vanity; they are so saggy it affects my eye sight especially when I’m tired. I can live with all my other saggy bits but the eyes are important, they are, after all, the windows to the soul. Phil says he won’t allow me to have it done, but you know once he says I can’t do something it makes me even the more determined! But that said; I’m not good in the pain department so maybe I’ll wait for the sisters to do it first and check out the pain thing before I get it done. Either way (Phil) it’s definitely on the wish list).

The last 3 days have been fairly boring and I’m not sure I have enough to blog about today. We (mostly Phil) have been working solidly on the garage. It’s looking good but if I realised how much hard work it was gonna be, I may just have put up with the concrete floor. Phil got up all the plasterboards on the brick walls and then he had to cover up with special filler stuff for plaster.
After it had dried he then had to sand all of the joins down. This was a hard job and there was dust everywhere. He huffed and grumbled all day. Still he was happy when he'd finished and then it was my turn to get stuck in with the painting. Forever the optimist, I thought I would get away with just one coat but because it was paint straight to plaster, I had to do 2. In all honesty it could probably do with a third coat but it aint going to get one.

While I was painting Phil made up the base and wall units and fixed them to the back wall of the garage. We got the units at B&Q and thought we had got a real bargain when we got the doors for just a pound each. However when we got them out of the box we realised that we had brought 600wide doors for cooker hoods and not to fit the bog standard base units. It was a shame really because when we went back to B&Q all of the bargain doors had sold out. Never mind we ended up with white country style doors which I really like, just a shame they were £12 each instead of a pound. Some you win and some you lose.

In the middle of fitting the doors, a rep from an automated garage door company turned up to measure and quote Phil for a remote controlled garage door. Phil has always wanted remote controlled garage doors and has been talking about them for years. But the rep wanted £2,500 for his door system which is far more than Phil wants or can afford to pay. Personally I do think the existing doors do look shabby but whether a remote system will add value to the sale price, well I’m not sure.

Things go backward before they move on and we are in such a mess not just in the garage but in the conservatory and the garden too. Mess alarms me and I’m not good at it. Today the aim is to fit the skirting and then get all the boxes and everything out of the conservatory and up in to the storage area in the garage eaves. I will be happy if we can achieve this today and then I can give the house a good clean. Our overall aim is get the storage shed leading into the garage finished by next Wednesday which is the day before we got to France but I’m not sure if this target is realistic. But if anyone can do it Phil can; I’m sitting here blogging, its only 7.20am and already Phil is shopping in B&Q!

No comments: