Monday 12 May 2008

Journey’s End (A New Beginning)


It was very successful again Claire, traveling straight from work on Thursday, staying in a hotel near Gatwick airport. It makes your holiday seem a day longer and not such a long a traveling day. And saving a pound over car parking along; the way, a real bargain. We stayed in the Felbridge Hotel and Spa which was completely renovated last year. They have made a very nice job of it; there are two expensive restaurants and an expensive bar that serves food, a pool and mini gym too.

A Taxi picked us up at 7am ready for our flight at 9.30 that was the usual 30 minutes late. Thompson were our carrier with a much improved interior since the last time we flew with them; plenty of leg (and tummy) space and a touch screen tv for everyone. Even though we had over 5 hours flight time I didn’t watch a film, preferring to read the papers, do Sudoku and play Millionaire on the tv. Straight over to our mini bus and off to our very basic, but clean, hotel Pontao in Santa Maria on Sal island. The Cape Verde Islands are an archipelago of 10 islands about 300 miles off the West African coast, between the Tropic of Cancer and the Equator. These were originally volcanic islands but only Fao is currently active. Our first impressions are bleak and grim; Sal is very flat, dusty and dry. I expected volcanic islands to be a little more mountainous.

There is plenty of development going on, at least around Santa Maria, we can only see developments from our balcony, nothing complete. We had a quick walk along the beach and around town yesterday afternoon but not much was happening. We struggled to find a bar for a drink net alone a restaurant, having to settle for a greasy burger from a burger wagon near our hotel. Breakfast only at the Hotel Pontao so we must do plenty of research today to find a venue to watch the Turkish Grand Prix and qualifying whist sampling the local brew, also to find a decent place to eat. We have hired a car for tomorrow and are flying to Boa Vista on Tuesday.

On my last day at work on Thursday I was called into my bosses office (Alain) to discuss my future (or not) at Rexam. I have been working there on contract for 6 years now and it’s the longest I have ever worked in the same office during my whole life. I did an apprenticeship at the Brush in Loughborough where I worked for 9 years, but that included a 4 year apprenticeship and working in 2 different offices. As I have been contracting for over 20 years now, my normal period of employment is between 2 and 3 years. Anyway, Rexam had a bad year last year, with steel and Aluminum prices rocketing, the American problem and a strike in the US. Rexam shares dropped from over £5.50 down to about £3.70 in March this year so the company is working hard to increase profits. As a contractor, you are always the most vulnerable in times of need. Consequently, after this weeks holiday I will only have 1 more week working there for the present. I may be called back to cover for holidays or complete a specific task. As this happens when we have a huge amount of work on our flats and at home to do, it suits me very nicely so I won’t be looking for paid work any time soon. And at the beginning of what looks like a very good British summer. What better time to start a new beginning?

No comments: