Friday 2 May 2008

Diet Police

I’m pleased that Claire has started a new blog so we can close down the last one. It’s actually longer than our first blog in Goa. We intend to run this new blog, “thenakedbloggers” indefinitely and I expect to be doing most of the entries while we are on holiday next week in Cape Verde. Claire doesn’t like wasting her precious holiday time writing but I seem to have more time on holiday than ordinary times. Claire prefers writing blogs to her normal busy life and numerous tasks she sets herself.

As she has been informing you, I am trying to loose most of my weight this year and she is very supportive in this direction; I’m starving most of the time. I have almost lost my first 2 stone and feel better for it but still have at least twice as much to go. I don’t suppose it will help being on holiday next week but I will do my best anyway. We originally booked this holiday with high hopes of buying a small investment property there. I have been following progress there for the last 2 years and last year saw the first direct flights from the uk to Sal, the main tourist island. Two more of the islands are expected to be serviced by direct flights later this year, Boa Vista and Santiago. We had hoped to visit all 3 islands but have found it very impractical in a week and are now only visiting Boa Vista for 1 night whilst staying on Sal.

Ever since we booked the flight, we have been investigating the islands on the internet and have been put off a little regarding buying an investment there. To start with they don’t seem as cheap as I would have expected for a developing area and the resale market is poor so there could be quite a lot to loose. The cost of living is relatively high there as they have to import everything. This makes it expensive to stay there for any length of time. The infra-structure is apparently lacking regarding roads and services, especially water supply. The islands receive very little annual rainfall making it necessary for developments to build desalinisation plants for their water supply. We have also all but ran out of money, which doesn’t help so the timing just isn’t there for us. Still we still intend to have a good look around and make our minds up while we are there. I am sure Claire will also find a way to make time to relax and sunbathe. We will keep you informed of our progress and upload plenty of photographs so it will feel like you are there with us.


My old friend Steve is back from the States after 8 months and I went to stay last Friday at his house in Loughborough. I was really looking forward to seeing him and his house as I haven’t seen it since he bought it a couple of years ago. There is only a short window to see him as he is back in the States for a week in 2 weeks time and then is off to Japan for a year. I doubt he will even get a chance to come and see our house before he goes as he hasn’t seen that either. We may have even sold it before he sees it. Steve has done a real good job of his house, especially as he has done everything himself, even the plumbing, electrics, replacement windows and new roof. It makes our project look like childs play.

I was surprised how much Loughborough had changed since I was last there about 10 years ago. I could hardly recognise it but I think it has changed for the better at first glance. We had intended to catch up with some other of my old pals, Roy, Melv and Steve’s son Ben but for one reason or another we missed them all. We did briefly see Lynda, Roy’s wife that I hadn’t seen for over 15 years. They have a party venue
www.lynroys.com and also let houses out both in Loughborough and Spain. I was amazed as to how little Lynda had changed in this time and commented on it. Unfortunately she wasn’t able to return the compliment.

As Claire has said, we have been busy in 2 of our properties and in the Two Mile Ash flat we decided to gut it and start again with a new bathroom, kitchen and refurb ready to sell it on our return from holiday. Its very grim when you start scrapping wallpaper off and chiselling off tiles. Until a certain point when you start putting things back and making it better, its hard unpleasant work. I found the plaster board disintegrating in the shower when I removed the tiles. It had been soaked over the years and was only held up by the tiles and numerous coats of paint we had applied over the years. We are just starting to get there now and have the floors in the kitchen and bathroom down and grouted.

David, our posh plumber and new friend is there tomorrow to fit the toilet, sink and shower. He was supposed to do the kitchen sink as well but we haven’t bought it yet. Unfortunately we will not be there with him as I double booked and we have to see our accountant (and friend) Rashmi tomorrow (
http://thakrarcoombs.com ).

In fact I had treble booked, as I had my car arranged for the garage Friday as well but I think Claire has un-booked that for me. If you need a good accountant, Rashmi is your man. He is quite a distance from Milton Keynes in Holyport but he is worth the trip. Looking for a discount this year Rashmi!

No comments: