Saturday 26 September 2009

Fed up in Farnfield


It was a manic morning on Friday and we only just about managed to leave for Farnfield on time.  Phil got the lions share of the tiling in the bathroom done at Cranfield and we both left for home at midday just leaving time to shower, throw the case in the car and get over to Stony Stratfield to meet the agent.  We viewed a 1 bed flat which was in dire need of repair.  Phil was quite keen to put in an offer but I am not so sure about the area.  How Phil thinks we can exchange and complete and finish a total refurbishment in the space of 7 weeks is beyond me.  I am certainly not afraid of hard work but superwoman I aint!

I pen this blog (so to speak) from the free Wi-Fi station in the reception area of the Yarnfield Park Training Conference centre. It has been the worst weekend for me and I HAVE BEEN BORED OUT OF MY HEAD. I know Phil’s intention of wanting me along was honourable because he hates to spend a night apart from me which is sweet, but in this situation, slightly selfish of him. By the time we leave this place, I would have spent nearly 40 hours in my room, which okay is functional but at the end of the day it is small and not that comfortable. It has been the worst weekend and with a flat in the midst of renovation and a house move on Tuesday-cum-Wednesday or maybe as late as Thursday, I certainly could have made better use of my time. The conference centre itself is okay, it works well as a venue for its purpose but luxury it aint and the delegates are seriously weird. I guess I am used to Business MBA graduates but these lot here for the science weekend, freak me out. Okay I’m not an academic (thank god) and boy do I feel like an outsider. I seriously don’t belong here!

This is a quick moany blog published from the Wi-Fi station in reception because I got kicked out of my room at 9am this morning. I told Phil in no uncertain terms last night, that if he doesn’t get out of his ‘how to get through your exam’ session scheduled at 1.30pm until 3pm today that I would be getting the train back to central Milton Keyes first thing this morning. Having to spend 3 and a half hours in reception waiting for him to come out is bad enough but add on another hour and a half on to that timing would have sent me over the top. I would like to think that he felt guilty for making me prisoner in an inferior conference hotel room for 2 and a half days would have helped with his decision but the bottom line really, is that we are going home early, because he has forgotten to record the Grand Prix.

You may wonder how I have occupied myself whilst being held prisoner? Well, yesterday, I ran a bath, exfoliated, slapped on a face pack and waxed every stray hair with Veet from my body plus tweezing those hairs which were stubborn. I have been busy with the CF so the body and soul have been neglected of late. To be frank I can’t be arsed these days and Phil doesn’t seem to notice anyway. But still, as well as the hair removal, I gave myself a mini pedicure and manicure and read the autobiography of Julie Walters entitled “That’s Another Story” from start to finish. And that was all before 12.30pm when I met Phil for lunch in the restaurant. Unfortunately the other delegates on his course joined us at our table which annoyed me.


In the afternoon I climbed in Phil’s Landover and ventured into the nearby town of Stone. It was only a 10 minute drive but with my bad back and fear of driving the tank, especially in new territory, I was a nervous wreck by the time I found somewhere to park. Stone is okay, mainly charity shops, unfortunately not any good fashion boutiques but I did stumble across a Morrison’s where I picked up some chilled wine. When I got back to the hotel-com-conference-room I put on ITV and watched Bean in Los Angeles. Very funny and made even more so when I opened a bottle of vino at half past four. Well, what else is a girl to do when she is away from home and lonely and VERY bored??? Phil popped back at 5.30; he had a glass of wine and we ran to catch a curry at last orders in the restaurant then he went up for his last session while I went back to my prison cell, put on comfy jarmies and watched Strictly for half a hour before switching to X-Factor. How exciting is my life????

This morning I had to pack up quickly, load the car and go for breakfast. I thought I'd try out the gym to wile away an hour. It was very basic but I managed a gentle 30 minute run on the treadmill which is better than nothing I suppose. And now here I am, blogging using the free Wi-Fi at reception. I have a couple more hours to wait for Phil before we can head home. I can’t wait, it’s been, boring, miserable, cramped and the longest weekend ever.

No comments: