Thursday 10 September 2009

Cranes, Cambridge & Cranfield


Earlier in the week we parked up outside the kebab flat and were making our way to the market when we spotted this massive crane by the Marks & Spencer side of the shopping centre. Phil, true to form, made me get my camera out and take a photograph. We were curious as to what the crane was for and figured it had to be something to do with the renovation of the pond area between Waterstones bookshop and McDonalds but on closer inspection, we weren’t so sure. It was a massive crane, one of the biggest I’ve seen.

Although it has yet to end, this week has limped by. Not much action but lots of more of watching travel DVD’s and eating comfort food. Phil is meant to be in charge of shopping and cooking but one day this week we had nothing in the fridge so had to resort to a lunch of fish fingers with peas and mash. Actually it was quite nice and made a change to the normal stuff we eat. Phil had an attack of the munchies on Tuesday night and ended up ordering an Indian takeaway from up the road. I give up all hope for him ever getting slim, he is a lost cause!

Phil’s travel plans have been advancing at an alarming rate, in fact, I think even Phil is getting anxious can’t quite believe what he has managed to organise. I will leave it to him to blog about our next ‘round the world’ adventure. Suffice to say, he has gone for it ‘big time’ and this winters journey will make our adventures in India look like a walk in the park. As I said, things have moved quickly and it’s too late to pull out now. Exciting times ahead me thinks, but lots to organise and a bungalow to sort before we can fly away.

Yesterday after breakfast, emails and a visit to the gym for me, we grabbed the sat nav, jumped in the car and drove to a village called Milton just outside Cambridge where we met John (stepdad number 2) for lunch. I’d worked out that this was a half way spot for both of us. John had the same journey time as us to travel from Ipswich to Milton so my research on The AA website worked out well. John and Marie are taking their campervan and travelling to Le Manga in Spain where they will be staying on a camp site and not returning to the UK until late March 2010. We had a pleasant lunch and sat outside the pub with a coffee before saying goodbye for the winter and driving back to MK.

Our days of slobbing about, eating and drinking and sitting on our backsides watching TV are about to come to an end. Abdullah, our tenant at the Cranfield bungalow is moving out and we are meeting him this afternoon to pick up the keys and check the inventory. I don’t think we’ll start renovation on the flat apart today but tomorrow we’ll definitely start ripping out the kitchen. The plan is to renovate the whole flat so we’re going to have our work cut out for the next few weeks. I don’t mind the work; I just wonder whether I can put up with Betty, the mad neighbour next door, popping in and out every 2 minutes. She means well but she is completely bonkers. As I may well be when we finish this project!

No comments: