Monday 6 April 2009

Almost finished

Isn’t it amazing how things seem to synchronize themselves? When I first started this job in Somerset my Open University course started at the same time and so did the renovation work on the Oldbrook flat. Well now the contract in Somerset is coming to an end at the end of this week so has the renovation project. My OU hasn’t and at least I should be able to catch up again while we are on holiday. Did I tell you that I can’t wait for this holiday? I think I need it more than any other I have ever looked forward to. The title is quite appropriate as I am about wiped out too. I have just completed my last 4am early drive down to start a 10 hour shift at 7am so now all I have to do is survive the day and the worst of the week will be over. The worst thing about the drive down here in the night is probably 2 hours of Alex dot Lester on the radio. For some reason I find him a real plonker and he irritates me. It’s a bit too early for radio 4 as prior to 9am its news all the way and I’m already too old for radio 1. The photos throughout this blog show the almost completed flat that I was going to take down to my Mum with Georgina on Sunday to show how it turned out.






Unfortunately she has just returned from her skiing trip ill and couldn’t go out. What a shame, she was so looking forward to it. They flew out last Saturday and her illness started on Sunday but she struggled through the week and only missed the last two days skiing. It started out as a cough and congestion but she also got a blister that turned into a blood blister which gave her a few problems, especially as her ski boots didn’t dry out all week. Although she had never has a nose bleed in her life she ended up having seven during the week away. She ended up being sick at the end of the holiday and was sick all the way home on the plane. Her Mum took her to the doctors when she got back and was diagnosed with a chest infection. Not sure it started out that way? Anyway, after sleeping from lunchtime Saturday and not getting up until lunchtime Sunday she started to feel a bit better. I think the flat is looking pretty good myself, especially compared to how it was when we got it back. Claire spent most the weekend with the finishing touches and cleaning up after me. She wanted it to look nice for when Harriet came around to inspect it. As you know from previous entries, Claire is a bit of a clean freak. I even caught her over the weekend trying to clean, what she thought was a stain on the carpet. I had to stop her before she wore a hole through it as it was a patch of light coming through the window. There was quite a lot of light coming through the window this weekend as the sun was out; great spring has sprung already. I think Harriet was reasonably pleased and even bought a BBQ ready to try out when they move in. As our lovely one is in our house and we have no garden here we might have to try and invite ourselves one day. Don’t forget the beer HH! The sale of our house still seems to be going though without a hitch (touch wood). We had a letter from Sally, our solicitor, to say that the draft contracts had been sent out so if there are no further queries we might get to sign them before we go away. Of course, it looks like our holiday might just be coming at the wrong time now; another thing to worry about for Claire. I hope Jimmy and Shirley’s offer still stands? We might be moving to Neath Hill shortly, one estate in MK that I have not yet lived in. I viewed a three storey three bedroom house there last year that had been repossessed and was surprised that it was up for £140000 because it was big and in a great position near a park. It needed major help in getting it back to what it should be but I thought someone could make money on it. Anyway, our neighbour’s daughter from Giffard Park offered £125000 and it was accepted. This sale fell through as we found out when we bumped into her and her boyfriend at the Giffard Park pub on Saturday. They said it was still up for sale but now for only £100000. As I said there is a lot of work but there must be money to be made. It even has a balcony from the lounge and a carport with a small garden to the rear. It wouldn’t be very far away from Jimmy and Shirley’s house if we move there (shhh, don’t tell Claire I think she would prefer a break first before another venture).



More fun and games in this weeks GP for Lewis but well done Jensen and they said you were finished. It’s remarkable what Brawn GP have achieved; they will probably make a film out of this story when it’s all panned out. There seem to be allot of GP’s all at the beginning of the season, I noticed that we will miss 2 while we are away on holiday. I thought they were supposed to be starting an Indian GP this year; we could have gone to that while we were there. The only new one this year is at Abu Dhabi and that’s the last one in the season which must have pushed Brazil’s nose out. I think it’s as late as possible to give them the best chance of finishing it in time. Didn’t it rain; the grandstand was actually hit by lightening 3 times during the race. Hope it’s a bit nicer in India next week!

No comments: