Friday 19 June 2009

T.G.I.F.

It’s going to be a quick blog this morning. Its only 7am and Phil is already round the OB flat and is expecting me to join him anytime now. It’s been a busy last few days with many jobs done, all too tedious and boring to list but the main focus has been on ‘kitchens’. No sooner had I pressed the publish button to upload the blog a knock on the door signalled the arrival of the Wickes kitchen at the NH house. Delivery was swift and efficient and after quarter of an hour the lounge was full of boxes. I gave the delivery driver a cup of tea and he gulped this down and was finished just as Shane arrived to make use of our internet connection.

Phil has done great things in the kitchen in the OB flat and I am really pleased with him. I haven’t got any photo’s to show yet because I need to get in there this morning and touch up the painting and give it a right good clean. Harriet popped in to see the flat in her lunch hour yesterday and was really jealous of the integrated oven and hob. She also likes the fact that we have tiled under the bath because we didn’t in her bathroom and she gets lots of spiders. I told her, sorry but there is no way you are swapping houses.

Yesterday afternoon Phil and Shane came to the NH house and started building up the Wickes units. These units are supberb quality, much better than the B&Q and Homebase units. The instructions weren’t easy to follow but they soon got the hang of them and in 3 hours had all of the units built bar 3 of the wall cupboards. Amazing!! While they were building up units, I had the job of emptying the kitchen. Now all of the food is under the stairs; the plates and cutlery are stored in the dishwasher and the fridge and freezer temporarily live in the hallway. Not ideal but if I have my way, it will only be for a few more days. Phil has all the units placed in the kitchen but there will be a lot of work to do in fixing them to the walls, siliconing in the worktops and fitting all the splash backs. Not to mention cutting out for electrics and mounting the wall units. Hey ho, Rome wasn’t built in a day and neither will our kitchen be. All being well, the kitchen should be completed by the end of next week. A few more jobs then we will be ready to go to market. Just as well really because Phil has seen a house in the paper that he wants to go and view over the weekend. No rest for the wicked hey!!!!

Whilst I was loading the cupboard boxes in my car yesterday I noticed that somebody had keyed the boot of my car. I can only think that it has been done overnight whilst parked in the NH close because the only places I have been this week is the Bleak Hall rubbish tip x 8 times, the OB flat everyday and B&Q everyday. It’s not a big issue because my little red Ford KA is a wreck but the principle upsets me. There is a bit of an issue with parking at the NH house with only 2 public parking bays which me and Phil seem to get parked in most of the time. I wonder whether this has upset some of the residents that have lived in for many years? I do make an effort to park outside the garage but to be honest most of the time, I have stuff to load or unload and it’s easier to park nearer to our front door. I find it quite ironic that living in the kebab flat in the middle of the city centre for 8 months amongst all kind of low-life’s that I never had a wink of car vandalism. Never mind, at least it wasn’t Phil’s car.

It’s a big day today. We have hired a van and Phil and Shane are going to the GP house to get back some of our stuff. The tenant has said we can have unsupervised access and go in with our key which is jolly kind of him. I really want to go with Phil but I know that I won’t be able to resist going all through the rooms looking for dirt and dust and all kinds of other things, which wouldn’t be fair. Plus, I still mourn the GP house and seeing it again would just hurt my heart even more. Best to stay away until the day comes when we can live there once again.

I am glad it’s the end of the week. We don’t have any hard or dirty jobs today and have decided to slow the pace down a bit. After all, it is Friday. I can’t cook in the kitchen so we are going to The Giffard for lunch and have invited Shane to join us to thank him for all his hard work. I don’t think he’s ever worked as hard as he has these last 2 weeks under Phil’s supervision. Speaking of which, it is now 7.25am and I have already had 2 calls from Phil wondering where the hell I am. And here was I thinking it was going to be an easy day!
Gotta go!!

No comments: