Tuesday 23 June 2009

Sun, Sea & Stars

This is my horoscope as printed in the YOU supplement of the Mail on Sunday:

The past few weeks have not been easy but as a new solar year begins so you your fortunes are about to change. With the sun entering your sign today marking the Summer Solstice, you can stop looking over your shoulder and start planning for a better tomorrow. Something that occurs between Monday’s New Moon and the Solar Eclipse on 22 July will mark the necessary turning point in your circumstances.

They are right, these last few weeks have not been easy and I look forward to a ‘better tomorrow’, bring it on is all I can say!!!

It was a good job I was up and about early on Saturday morning because no sooner had I published the blog, my mobile phone started ringing (time 6.55am). I had forgotten to turn it off from the night before; it was the Sainsbury’s delivery driver asking for directions to the Cranfield flat so he could deliver and install the new washer/dryer. I did my best and he found his way but unfortunately when he got there, our tenant was fast asleep in bed. I called mad Betty next door because I knew she would up (she was) and got her to bang on his bedroom window but by this time the driver had got fed up and driven away. I’ve had to rearrange delivery for Wednesday; so far it has cost me £44.99 to get this effing machine delivered. Why can’t things ever be straightforward?????

Phil really got stuck into the NH kitchen on Saturday. As usual, we had all the usual huffing and puffing, big sighs and groans but I ignored him. I should have really got on with the glossing at no 10 but I wasn’t in the mood. I can’t now quite recall what I did on Saturday but I know I would have been busy doing something. We have had big problems with our BT Vision since we moved here and finally on Saturday we got the facility to record which was fortunate because the Silverstone Grand Prix was on and Phil had to record it. We still don’t have access to TV replay on demand so we will have to make yet another phone call to BT at some point today.

Sunday was a bit more relaxed. Phil did 6 until 10am working in the kitchen and I put in the same hours around the OB flat getting stuck into the glossing, my favourite job (NOT). Phil picked up Georgina and they went to Melton Mowbray to have lunch with his mum and dad because it was Fathers Day. When I got as far as I wanted to with the glossing I went home for a shower then picked up Harriet and we went for lunch at The Giffard. We both went for the steak and they were both very delicious. After I dropped her back home I went to Saks beauty salon at David Lloyd for a lime and ginger body brush, exfoliation and light massage. After a big steak and a glass of wine I was already feeling pretty relaxed and the treatment nearly sent me to sleep. However, that said, my usual girl has left and her replacement was pretty crap so I won’t be having this again. Instead I shall buy the jollop and self treat at home.

Yesterday was pretty much a full-on day with the usual 5-6am starts. I persuaded Phil to tile and grout the kitchen before starting on the really noisy jobs. I hopped in to the car and went to the OB flat to get going on the glossing. The carpets are going in on Wednesday and I like to give surfaces a couple of days to dry beforehand. I hadn’t long got going when I heard the beeping of a delivery van. I popped my head out of the door only to see that Will Tricks and his sons had arrived to chop down the trees. They made a horrendous noise but 3 hours later the job was done and all the trees were gone. Both Harriet and Shane think it looks awful now and I have to say, it does look very, very bare.
Something has to be done but that is yet another project for another day.

Phil has made a sterling job of the NH kitchen but he won’t let me publish any more photos until he has finished. That should be sometime today, well actually, it will be sometime tomorrow because the new extractor fan isn’t being delivered until tomorrow. Last night I got all the food stuffs out of the cupboard under the stairs. Unfortunately the honey jar had leaked and so had the dark soy sauce jar so it was all a bit of a big mess. But, as you know, I am very good at cleaning and had the whole lot washed and in the cupboards in no time.

We have 2 very heavy days ahead, today and tomorrow but we are hoping to slow things down a bit from Thursday onwards. Things are looking up though, and as my stars predicted, my fortunes are about to change. Jill & Tony, some friends we met in Cyprus through Chris and Christine, are letting us rent their new villa in Kalkan in Turkey at a rock bottom bargain price. Phil found flights through Thomas Cook early yesterday morning and we are booked for a 2 week break mid July. I can’t wait, how lucky am I????

No comments: