Monday 30 March 2009

Thursday is the new Friday

Travelling back to MK from Somerset last Thursday was a nightmare. That’s the worst it has been on the M25 since I started work there; even worse than when I used to come back on a Friday. I think more and more people are working 4 long days now than 5 normal ones when they are commuting. I never have any trouble when travelling down to Somerset on a Monday morning though but that’s because I travel in the middle of the night. It didn’t help this week as they put the clocks forward meaning that I effectively had to start out even earlier. Especially after I got up early on Saturday and Sunday to watch the qualifying and Australian GP before going into the flat to work all weekend. Didn’t Jenson do well? So did Lewis, but not much was said about him. That’s put him in good stead especially as the 2 Ferraris came nowhere. What a start for Ross with Brawn GP; not forgetting Richard Branson joining forces at the last minute. He is so jammy; but again, I suppose you make your own luck.



Before I started working in Somerset, I used to think of Maddy driving to work at Heathrow terminal 5 for a 5.30 start and feel sorry for her. However, I now go past the terminal 5 junction before 5am, have 2 more junctions on the M25 to go where I get off onto the M3 and still have over 120 miles to go before starting a 10 hour day at 7am. At least it’s only for another 2 weeks. Oh, didn’t I tell you, the contract is coming to an end. Perfect timing ready for our 2 week holiday to Goa. Well, I may have engineered the end a little but somehow managed to make them think it was their idea. This will mean that I worked here for 2 months all together; just long enough to become competent at Inventor and to got quite proficient with different aspects of Mechanical Engineering, which you need to become a good pirate. The sad thing about this contract was the timing, the entire time that I have been working here, I have also been renovating the flat at Oldbrook and now I am finishing working here the flat is also about finished. This weekend saw the kitchen walls tiled and the rest of the bathroom tiling completed. As well as fitting the kick boards and handles in the kitchen, it’s all coming together now and looking quite finished off. Claire has the final carpet being fitted in the lounge on Monday morning so by the time I post this it will be done. All I have to do next weekend is tiling the floor in the store room that comes off the kitchen which we have been storing everything in while all the work has been going on. Might even get a bit of time off next weekend; but then again no, I have fallen behind with my Open University work over the last 2 months so I need to get my first TMA in by next weekend. Good job I was ahead before I started here otherwise I would have been in real trouble. Never mind I can catch up again while we are on holiday in Goa. Did I say that I was really looking forward to it?



Half my journey is spent on the A303 which is quite an interesting road, as roads go. At the start you have the Little Chef where Heston converted in Big Chef meets Little Chef where Claire and I stopped once. Then it goes right past Stone Henge which I haven’t stopped at yet, but I must get a couple of photos before I leave. Then it goes right past Wookey Hole near Cheddar Gorge. Too much stuff for me to see all of before we go on holiday. Did I tell you we are off to Goa in two weeks?

No comments: