Friday 10 October 2008

Work in progress

Well it’s been a busy week with lots of sanding, rubbing down and glossing. As I had feared, the wall papered boards don’t work and I am going to have to rethink because its way too busy for such a small room. Phil was off yesterday and one of the first things we did was pop to B&Q for materials. We got tiles for the kitchen floor, 2 rolls of Fablon for covering the wardrobe doors, a tile cutter and a very expensive tub of ready made beige grout. Phil was cursing because we had to buy new tools when we could have brought our tools from the cul-de-sac house but whilst this would have been sensible we have just nowhere to put them. Phil couldn’t resist getting a hotdog from the food wagon in B&Q car-park and I am ashamed to say I had one too. Naughty but nice!

Phil did a good job of covering the wardrobe doors although he wasn’t happy with it because the roll wasn’t quite wide enough and he was left with a thin white strip which he wants to cover with something else. I’ve told him it will be fine as it is and they look 100% better than they did before. Fablon is my latest DIY craze, I think it’s fabulous! I think maybe I shall cover all the internal doors and the airing cupboard with it. We had a viewing here on Wednesday afternoon and even with all the mess, the guy that viewed is very interested. He’s a cash buyer and wants to move by the end of the year. It would be good if we could get the asking price but in a falling market, I’m not holding my breath.

It was meant to be a big day in the kebab flat yesterday but as you would expect, things didn’t go to plan. First up was the digital SKY connection. The SKY engineer turned up as planned but after half an hour him and Phil worked out that there was no where to put up a satellite dish. The main reason for this is that our flat faces north and the dish has to face south. As the flat is freehold, it is against the law to put up a dish outside or across another flat. It wasn’t possible to put it on the roof because this is in breach of the freehold. No dish, meant no connection and the engineer left promising a refund. Poor Phil was heart-broken and went into a sulk for the rest of afternoon. I am upset that I am still without a sensible broadband connection.
Also yesterday, we had the new carpet delivered and fitted in Bed 1. We were in for a pm delivery but it was just our worst luck that we were the last off the lorry. This wasn’t the end of the world though, the new carpet looks lovely and last night I put on all the brand new bedding finishing off with my John Lewis pure silk cushions. It felt like a new room and for the first night since I have lived here, I went to sleep without thinking about the prostitutes that used to sleep in the very same room.

We are in a right old state in the flat not helped by the fact that I started ripping out the kitchen yesterday. The fridge is now set up in the lounge and this morning we've taken out the washing machine and the oven and put these in the spare room so we can start tiling the floor. As I type, Phil has just popped out to David the plumbers house to pick up his special tile cutter machine. When he gets back we shall start tiling the floor. I can think of other things I would rather be doing on this beautiful autumn day and I’m sure so can Phil but work has cannot be delayed if I am ever to heal my troubled soul.

Harriet is back from her holiday and called me yesterday to ask if I could her pick up from Shane’s. We went back to the kebab flat and Harriet brought a doner from next door which she ate while Phil and me had a bowl of lemon grass noodles. It seems that her holiday in Fuerteventura was okay, not brilliant but the sun obviously shone because her skin was the colour of honey and she was glowing. Afterwards I dropped her off with her suitcase at her dad’s house. He wasn’t there but had left a spare key in the garden so she was able to let herself in. Chris called HH on her mobile before I drove off and I had to laugh as I listened to them having an argument as to what time she would be home that night! LOL!! It will be an interesting few weeks in the Waugh household and it will be nice for me not to be the bad guy for a change!

No comments: